Kindergarten is a special time in a child's life. Kindergarten at Mokapu Elementary develops the whole child. While adhering to and following the Hawaii State Standards and the Common Core Curriculum, we believe that young children enter Kindergarten excited about the exploration called learning. while following developmentally appropriate practices, we beleive that we nurture that excitement and have students that continue to explore the world around them.
At Mokapu your child will learn all about letters, numbers and how to use them to read, write, add, and subtract and much, much more. Your child will make new friends and learn how to be respectful, responsible, and safe.
We follow the National Core Curriculum Standards in rading and Math. Entering Jr. K, students, based on age, will move to K the next year for developmentally appropriate and challenging curriculum and instruction.
Research has shown that parent participation and involvement is a key factor in your individual child's success. Ask your teacher what you can do to support your child's learning.
Some of the highlights of Kindergarten include:
- Kinder Kamp to help orientate students and parents to kindergarten at the beginning of the year. Click here to view the flyer.
- Hands-on learning such as cooking projects like making gingerbread cookies at holiday time
- Using thematic units for social studies and science, such as seeds, plants and animals
- Growing class gardens with a variety of flowers and vegetables
- Field trips to the fire station (fire safety), sea life park (study of ocean animals), zoo (animals and their habitats), Children’s Discovery Center
- Celebrating the 100th day of school
- Family involvement with kindergarten reading and math curriculum in conjunction with Book Fairs
- Each kindergarten student will keep a Kindergarten Pride or Memory Portfolio
Your Kindergarten Teachers
- Tricia Adams
- Sarah Tsunada
- Asheley Keola
- Karee Hodge
- Shanon Mahi